For many of America’s gun owners, shooting yourself is unthinkable, you just can’t wrap your head around how someone could accidentally shoot themselves in any way.

A Texas man accidentally shot himself and is now in critical condition. The man told the police he was “messing around” with a gun when he accidentally shot himself, his wife was the first one to respond and called the police after she saw what had happened. It is unclear if this man will make a recovery.

I believe we are obligated to wish this man a speedy recovery and hope that he survives, but man was this guy a knucklehead.

For those unaware, there are 4 general rules to handling firearms.

1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
  2. Keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction.
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
  4. Understand where your target is and what is behind it.

Oftentimes it is those who have been around firearms a long time that negligent discharge their firearm. This is why so many accidental shootings take place in gun stores, owners and staff get carless.

Regardless this is another unfortunate disaster, one that no gun law would have prevented. Can’t legislate away stupidity folks.

Meathead
Meathead
7 days ago

Pay close, close, close attention to what you are doing at that second. Do not let your mind wander and do not “mess around” with a gun, loaded or unloaded. The life you save might just be your own.

BrewDubbs
BrewDubbs
7 days ago

Accidents can and do happen, but “messing around” with a firearm at any time is STUPID.

Gene Ralno
Gene Ralno
7 days ago

I don’t believe these people are stupid. I’ve been around firearms for 70 years and I still remember my first field lesson. When crossing a fence, never carry it. Always break it open or clear the breech (aka chamber). Have your partner hold and pass it over, always pointed safely. Or if alone, lay it flat, cross and reach back. There are many other common sense rules.

The point is never risk a fall while armed. I believe most NDs (negligent discharges) are correctly labeled. People too often are simply negligent or careless or arrogant and so on. The point is, they’re not stupid. They’re victims of their own refusal to keep safe operating rules foremost in their mind. Beware smart alecks carrying firearms. We’ve all seen “showoffs” and they’re easily recognizable.

Bemused Berserker
Bemused Berserker
7 days ago

The 4 Cardinal Rules are paramount and there’s no excuse for not following them. Inevitably, when they’re no followed, an accident ensues.

In 50+ years of gun ownership, I had one negligent discharge as a teen. Luckily, no one including myself was harmed. That incident showed me how not following the 4 Rules, could very well lead to tragedy. Since that long ago incident, I’ve practiced strict adherence to the Rules. It’s not only the right thing to do, it’s the responsible thing for each of us to follow.

I hope this man recovers. It’s a hard lesson to learn.

Camus
Camus
7 days ago

Anytime you pick up a firearm, or when handed one by anyone else, while pointed in a safe direction, ALWAYS, drop the magazine (if it has one) and clear the chamber, or check the cylinder of a revolver even if you THINK you know it is unloaded. Never carry unless you know the load “condition” of your firearm.

Alfie
Alfie
7 days ago

Every gun is a loaded gun, until you verify it isn’t. Always hand another person a pistol with the cylinder open or with the magazine removed and the slide locked open. I’ve personally worked with people who’ve accidentally shot their lockers or themselves. There is never any excuse for an accidental shooting, never!

Bob L.
Bob L.
7 days ago

In the 1950s, I knew a guy who decided to practice quick drawing with his .22 revolver. He got so fast that he didn’t clear leather on one draw and shot himself in the leg. Fortunately, all he damaged was meat down through his calf without touching bone. He gave up the “hobby” after that.

Eugene Ross
Eugene Ross
7 days ago

I hope the man ends up being ok but that sure is a hard way to learn gun safety

Darryl Fountain
Darryl Fountain
6 days ago

Conceptually, the article was informative. But its professionalism was diluted by misspellings and other textual errors. I would recommend mandatory spell checking and proof reading before publication.

Dave
Dave
5 days ago

I believe the rule is that you should treat your gun as if it could go off at any time. This will always keep it pointed in a safe direction. This is what I was taught by my parents ever since I can remember. And guess what, the guns were never locked up in our house. As kids we always knew where they were. We never touched them. We never played with them. Eventually we were old enough to shoot them, and we did so. No one ever got hurt.

Gus Philpott
Gus Philpott
4 days ago

No accident there. “Messing around” = negligent handling.